So, tonight I just about had a heart attack. And I feel like I have aged at least 10 years! Andrew had run out the front door while I was cooking dinner. I was in the middle of something and could see him, so I figured I would go get him in a minute. Plus, lots of our neighbors were out there and he was just playing with the other kids. Less than 2 minutes later I went to get him and he was nowhere to be found. I checked all his usual play places and still couldn't find him. Kelsi went one way around the building, I went the other way. (Dave was gone.) I am usually pretty calm when he goes missing...sadly this is not the first time he has done this, and probably not the last. Soon Dave got home and he and a bunch of our other neighbors were helping us run around looking for him. He is 2, where could he have gone so fast? If you haven't been to our house, we live in the back of a pretty large complex. I started heading to the front because there is another playground he likes to go to, but its pretty far away, especially for him. For some reason, a little voice was telling me to go that way, even though Kelsi had already been there. At first glance no one was at the playground and I pretty much hit panic mode, just on the verge of a full blown freak-out!! I called his name and around the corner comes this couple, who I do not know, carrying my son. They told me they found him walking towards the main street (7th South if you know the area) and they grabbed him. They asked him his name and he said, "I'm Andrew, I was just playing." He was obviously not as scared as me or half our ward who by now were looking for him! They were going to take him to the manager when they heard me calling his name. He was happy to see me, but just wanted to play on the playground. What a stinker!! I am so grateful to the people who grabbed him...he was headed towards a busy road where people drive pretty fast. I also love that we live in a place where people will help you in an instant. I NEVER thought that I would say this, but I am sad we are leaving. Our ward and neighbors are awesome, and we will miss them tons. I am so happy it all turned out okay, but I am not ready for the gray hair that this boy is going to give me!
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
HOLY COW!! You need to put a homing beacon on him!
Oh my goodness I would have died. I totally remember the time Kelsi disapeared when we lived there. At least you live in a place where everyone is willing to help search and half of everyone are in your own ward (knowing exactly who it is they are looking for). Oh boy, the parts I loved about Rexburg!
Stacia, you make it sound like I always lose my kids! ha ha! The time Kelsi was lost was because Dave's brother took her with him when he left, and didn't think to tell us. Nice, huh!! Brings back great memories. :)
That is the worst feeling in the whole world, to think your child is gone! I can't even imagine it turning out to be true! I'm so glad you found him! And that is one of the things I miss about Rexburg-- good neighbors, who all happen to be in your ward, that are watching out for you.
Keri,
I am going to have your number on speed dial. I think Crandall is going to give us a run for our money once he gets mobile. That is so scary! It is nice to live in a place where people will drop everything and help in a situation like that. I miss that about Rexburg, I don't however miss the weather (your earlier blog made me grateful to be back in Utah) :)
Lauren
Yes, we have had this happen a few times. It is the worst feeling. The worst thing about it is that the little ones don't seem to think it a big deal. How do you teach them that it is!!! I guess just keep loving them and finding them.
Post a Comment